• Philippine Resources

Sangley airport consortium seeks extension to complete requirements



The consortium of Lucio Tan’s MacroAsia Corp. and its Chinese partner for the Sangley Point International Airport (SPIA) project is seeking a two-month extension from the provincial government of Cavite to complete its post qualification requirements given the developments brought about by the coronavirus disease 2019 or  COVID-19 outbreak.


The consortium, which received the notice of award from the local government of  Cavite last Feb. 15, has been given 60 days to comply with all post qualification requirements before an official signing of a joint venture contract with the local government is made.


However, travel restrictions and lockdowns imposed by China and later on in the country posed challenges to the consortium in completing its post qualification requirements.

“The consortium has already requested an extension of 60 days from the original deadline within which to submit post qualification documents/requirements, including among others, the joint venture agreement between China Communications Construction Co. Ltd. (CCCC) and MacroAsia,” Cavite government public-private partnership selection committee legal officer Jesse Grepo told The STAR.


Grepo said the request for extension is being considered in light of the outbreak.


“It will be deliberated, then the province will come up if they will be granted, in whole or part,” he said.


MacroAsia has a 40 percent stake in the consortium, while China Communications CCCC holds the remaining 60 percent.


The consortium has been awarded by the provincial government of Cavite the $4-billion first phase of the SPIA, a project involving the development of an interim first runway with an annual design capacity for 25 million passengers and the new Sangley connector road and bridge.


The consortium will also have the right to first offer for the second phase of the SPIA project which will expand the development for a second runway, with an annual design capacity for 75 million passengers.


MacroAsia has expertise in developing and operating key operating functions in an airport as part of the Lucio Tan conglomerate and as an affiliate of flag carrier Philippine Airlines.


CCCC, for its part, is a state-owned company engaged in investment, design and construction of transportation infrastructure, with experience in both airport and reclamation projects.


CCCC was previously debarred by the World Bank due to alleged fraudulent practices by one of its subsidiaries, China Road and Bridge Corp., with sanctions extending to the entire group under CCCC and all its affiliate companies worldwide.  


The debarment was lifted in January 2017 and CCCC has since been allowed to participate in all World Bank Group-financed tenders.           


Source: https://www.philstar.com/business/2020/04/06/2005679/sangley-airport-consortium-seeks-extension-complete-requirements

PHILIPPINE RESOURCES JOURNAL ​

2nd Floor, Suite 6,

Corinthian Plaza Building,

Paseo De Roxas, Legaspi Village,

Makati, Philippines

Phone: +632 251 5599

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

  • White Facebook Icon

© Philippine Resources Journal