Photo Credit: Panay News
Department of Energy (DOE) Secretary Alfonso Cusi said the country may expect additional 7,712 megawatts of power supply from 2021 to 2027.
During President Rodrigo Duterte’s Talk to the People late Thursday night, Cusi said the construction of new power sources is underway this year and in the coming years to augment the needed power requirements as the Philippine economy continues to expand.
He said between 2016 and 2020, installed capacity grew from 21,424 MW to 26,287, increasing by 4,863 MW.
Cusi added that the energy stakeholders have been preparing for the anticipated depletion of the Malampaya natural gas field through building new liquefied natural gas (LNG) facilities and exploration of indigenous power sources.
By next year, two LNG projects are expected to go online—the LNG project of AG&P and Osaka Gas by the second quarter and the LNG facility of First Gen and Tokyo Gas by third quarter, Cusi said.
“Aside from LNG, we continue to pursue the exploration of our indigenous resources like gas and oil in the West Philippine Sea,” the energy chief said in Filipino.
He added five service contracts were awarded since the government lifted the ban on exploration activities in the West Philippine Sea last year.
“The agency has recommended the awarding of four more service contracts for exploration in the West Philippine Sea,” Cusi added.
He said the DOE continues to partner with the international community to study potential power sources in the future.
The DOE has partnered with Australian and Japanese firms to study hydrogen as the fuel of the future.
Cusi said the Nuclear Energy Program Inter-Agency Committee is also looking into the potential of nuclear energy to be part of the country’s energy mix.
He said the DOE assures there is a sufficient supply of power across the country, additional power capacity to be installed in the coming years amid the growing demand, and lowering power rates.
Article Courtesy of the Philippine News Agency